08 April 2012

Will you won't you join the dance?

Bryan Talbot 
Alice in Sunderland: An Entertainment

 
I didn't expect to like this piece as much as I did, but it makes since that I do because of my love of history. This novel reminds me of a more-interesting history textbook. I really liked how each page looked almost a collage of images put together. It makes the book seem more "real."

It made me want to know history about England and the Sunderland region because I hardly know anything. That made me think how weird it is that in America we only learn American history, not even the history of Mexico or Canada we share national borders with them. After reading this it also made me think about who wrote those history textbooks I learned from growing up, and how events could have went different than described.

While I enjoyed the graphic novel more than I thought I would, it's still not at the top of my list of favorites. At first I enjoyed the lecture-like structure of the text, but after quite a while of the same thing it got really tedious. At that point I just started skimming through until I reached a part about Alice and the adventures she has.



 


















-----
Lilli Carre 
Nine Ways to Disappear  
I have to say that I'm personally not a fan of the artistic style of this book, although it does seem to fit with the absurd short stories Carre has written. All the stories have the same theme of 'disappearing,' but each is different in many ways. I like the creativity behind the stories and their writing, especially "Wide Eyes," which is about a guy who hides between his girlfriend's eyes to get a break from her. Typical guy thinking!

I did like how the book is all single-paneled pages; it's different and reads more like a picture book than that of a comic book. Like I said, I loved the actual stories themselves and wish there were more than nine of them. I usually end up reading books and graphic novels to escape from my life for a bit, and that's the subject of these pieces - a means of escape, from reality, from society, from relationships, from ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment